Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kannagi Review 77.5/100
























What I’ve done is, I’ve reread all the posts I wrote on this show and have given a number out of ten for each section. Then, I added it up and figured the percentage.
Concept: (8/10)
I liked the theme of having a sense of identity and how we feel lost and anxious without it. I wish, wish, wish this theme were present in more episodes! As important a concept it was to the show’s main plot, it was not given the time it deserved. I’ve recently become very interested in the mahout shoujo genre (after reading Megatoyko) and I was interesting in the concept of a shrine maiden imitating a magical girl show. Nagi’s scepter was really cool. There were a couple premises that were stale, such as a young boy who suddenly has a tsundere girl living with him. Kannagi deserves to be praised for doing its own thing, though. And so, kudos it Kannagi!
Writing: (7/10)
Looking back, I was very hard on the first episode, but it was the earlier episodes I enjoyed more. My favorite episodes were 8 and 2. It’s no wonder, because episodes 8 and 2 feature my favorite characters more. I’ve said several times in my posts how much potential Kannagi had to be a series that excited the viewers’ emotions. As much as its art and atmosphere were like Kyoto Animation’s, they were unable to work the emotion of the viewers. The moment Kannagi “jumped the shark” was when it began to rely on fanservice like a crutch. This happened at and after episode 6. There were several plot elements that weren’t made clear at all. For example, in episode 3, Nagi says she has someone she likes. That’s never brought up again. There’s no explanation as to why she has a split personality. Zange never leaves Kakua’s body. And, Jin’s past with Tsugumi is still unclear. Even if the series was 12-episodes long, the writers had plenty of time to develop these, especially if they didn’t spend so much time with the fanservice.
Characters: (7/10)
I’ll start this section by giving my favorite characters: Nagi and Kannagi and Daitetsu. Daitetsu is huge and soft-spoken, good at everything, and absolutely important in revealing Jin’s character. I couldn’t have asked for a better supporting male. Daitetsu would be cool in any anime. He couldn’t be given too much screen time. Nagi was a great leading female, though at times she was too whiney and demanding. She was enough of a strong character to be heroic, enough of a mysterious character to be engaging, and enough of an awkward character to be funny. I love her alter ego, Kannagi, who was gentle and quiet, complementing Nagi’s childlike characteristics. Each character was unique and quirky and worked well for this show.
Animation/Art: (9/10)
This show never lacked beautiful art and animation. I think that saved many episodes from being marked down. The clothing and hair were careful drawn so as to be interesting. I loved the digital painting; it reminded me a lot of Kyoto Animation. The art of the manga is good, too.
Voice Acting: (8/10)
Good casting! Each voice fit the characters. The karaoke episode showed the talents of all the Seiyuu.
Enjoyment: (7.5/10)
I will never be able to deny that I thought this show was fun. Fun and interesting. I don’t know if I would watch it again… because I don’t watch many anime again; but, I will burn the episodes to CD’s just in case. Despite my disappointment at the ending of the show and the laziness of the writers, there were times when Kannagi had a hold on my emotions. If only they had kept that hold.
Rating:
77.5/100 - C
Content Warning:
Being a gag anime, there’s a lot of fanservice. It ranges from jokes about homosexuality, gal games, breast size, skimpy outfits to bath scenes and the ending scene where Jin falls on top of a naked Nagi. Also, the show centers on an incarnate goddess and speaks of Shinto beliefs concerning impurities and afterlife. Catholicism and Christianity are misrepresented.
Recommendations:
ROD the TV, Lucky Star, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, FLCL, Gunbuster 2, Love Hina, Seto no Hanayome

No comments:

Post a Comment