Saturday, January 31, 2009

First Look @ Munto TV



















Episode 01 - (6/10 - Good)
Impression:
I've been looking forward to this when I saw it on Anime News Network. I've wanted to see the old OVA, but couldn't get a hold of them. I can't say I'm satisfied yet with it. Please don't fail me, Kyoto Animation! The art is very siimple and there are many long shots, which disappoints me. The problem with long shots is that you've got to fill up the screen with something, and the director (Kigami Yoshiji, who also did the screenplay) didn't do a good job of this. It looks bare. Despite this, the show is very beautiful - I wanted so many screen shots! The biggest flaw in this episode is that there's very little decisive action. The writers took this time to give the history of the magical world. That's not what first episodes are for. First episodes are meant to hook the viewer. I love the main character's name, Yumemi: beautiful dream.
Suggestive Content:
We see a classroom where girls are dressing for gym, but most of them are already clothed. Some blood from the prophetess's eyes and a couple battle scenes. There's talk of magic; the magical world is rapidly losing its "life energy," which is the conflict of the show. Some emotional topics like marrying at 13.
Rating:
Animation: 7/10
Characters: 7/10
Writing: 6/10
Pacing: 3/10 (Too slow, not enough happening. The greatest downfall of this episode.)
Enjoyment: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment